Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Roma on Turnaround Day


For our Civitavecchia turnaround day, I convinced Andrea that it would be best for me to go into Roma on my own and see some “boring” churches. They planned to sleep in, relax, and go to the pool while I was in Roma.

It turned out to be a pretty good few hours in Roma as I got some different views of the Colisseum and got to visit both San Clemente basilica and San Giovanni in Laterano—two very worthwhile places that are a bit off the standard tour routes. I only realize in hindsight that, in San Giovanni, that I entered the Basilica from a side entrance. No wonder the famous façade looked so dull for such an important church and why I couldn’t find the holy steps that were “across the street”. I also missed San Pietro in Vincoli, the chains and Michelangelo's Moses, because it just closed for siesta when I got there. Santa Maria Maggiore was a pretty good final spot for me to relax before catching the train at Termini back to Civitavecchia.

No comments: