Thursday, July 2, 2009

Barcelona, Spain

We taxied to La Sagrada Familia and walked back toward Las Ramblas, seeing Casa Terrades, Casa Mila and Casa Batllo along the way.


Unfortunately, it was pretty hot and the kids were tired and bored before we even reached Placa Catalunya and I knew we were in trouble. We got them food at McDonalds and Andrea and I ate later behind the Mercat de La Boqueria at Rita Rouge. After lunch, everybody was too tired to check out the Gothic Quarter or do anything else so we headed back to the ship. We walked back to the base of Las Ramblas to the Monument a Colom to catch the port shuttle. At 2-3 Euros per person and having to wait 10-20 minutes, I think this is a rip-off unless you are travelling solo. Heck you can take a taxi from there straight back to the ship for less than 5 Euros total!

In hindsight, I now realize that my Barcelona walking itinerary was overly ambitious and include any interesting indoor stops to allow everyone cool off. I should’ve substituted Gaudi’s Parc Gruell for some or all of his other architectural highlights. My parents knew better and booked a city tour bus ride for the afternoon through HAL. It was an epochal moment of our trip.

On a positive note, I think everyone enjoyed the evening Flamenco show and a peek at the Magic Fountain, and we didn’t miss the ship sailing. Have to say the cab drivers in Barcelona were very nice.

Favorite kid moment—Lunch at McDonald’s or the funny people on Las Ramblas

No comments: