Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Cancel that service for better pricing!

Whenever competition exists for a particular service, a really good way to keep your costs down is to threaten to cancel your service. Drive a hard bargain and say you're leaving for their competitor due to better pricing or superior offerings. To keep your business, they will almost certainly lower your rate and/or offer free or reduce-priced bonuses. Here are some examples:

XM Satellite Radio: We've had a $7.99/mo. promotional rate for years. Every time my year is up, XM tries to force me to a regular plan where monthly rates are usually $12.99/mo and up. I simply threaten to cancel, and whine and belly-ache about not listening to the service much, etc. etc.

Verizon vs. Comcast: With each provider, I call right after my initial one-year contract is up and my low promotional rates are scheduled to go up to the significantly higher regular prices. Before I call, I research the best current deal being offered by their competitor. Then, I call my current provider and tell them I am switching to the competitor due to their special promotion. Without exception, the offer is matched or bettered.

Credit cards: Many of the best credit cards are benefit cards that offer cash rebates, airline miles and/or other perks. Many of them also have high annual fees and/or interest rates. I will usually partake in some of the better cards because they will typically waive the first year's annual fees. In many cases, if you call after the first year and tell them you'd like to cancel the card because of the annual fee, they will waive it again. Also, if your credit is good and you don't fully pay your balance monthly, the interest rate is also negotiable if you bargain with them.

No comments: