Thursday, September 4, 2008

Bricks and Mortar Banks

I've noticed many new bank branches springing up recently near where I work and live. As someone who banks and pays bills almost completely online, writes about 4 checks a year, and uses less than $400 cash annually, it befuddles me as to why banks still have bricks and mortar branches to expand their business and to service customers. Over ten years ago, around the time of the first true Internet banks, I boldly predicted that, within 10-15 years, traditional banks would go the way of the dinosaurs. Judging by the steady expansion of bank branches, I was wrong.

I don't have or need a local bank because I don't need or want to pay for their bricks and mortar presence. I get better rates, better service, and more accurate record-keeping by doing everything electronically. Thus I don't pay for something I don't use. However the vast majority of Americans still value their local bank presence to make deposits, visit their tellers, use the drive-thru, talk with bank staff for credit lines, loans, mortgages or investments, use the safety deposit box, and partake of various other services. Go figure...

No comments: